14 February 2014

PREVIOUS GRAMMAR QUESTION

I am always eating my dinner late while I get home at 8:00 pm but the food is warmed quick in a microwave we brought at a neighbours garage sale.

1. Verb tense: 

For repeated actions use the simple present tense: change “am eating” to “eat”.

2. Word confusion: 

With a specific time reference, use ‘when” not “while”.

3. Word form: 

The adverb is “quickly”--“quick” is an adjective.

4. Word confusion: 

The word needed here is “bought”. The simple past tense of “buy”; “brought” is the past tense of “bring”.

5.  Missing word: 

The correct usage is “to warm [something] up”: “the food is warmed up”.

6.  Article usage: 

A specific microwave is referred to, so use the definite article (“the”). 

7. Punctuation: 

Use a comma before a coordinating conjunction (but) when it separates 2 independent clauses. Also note that an apostrophe is needed in neighbours (neighbour’s) because it is a possessive noun.

8. Capitalization: 

Capitalize PM. (MLA format).



Suggested solution

I always eat my dinner late when I get home at 8:00 PM, but the food is quickly warmed up in the microwave we bought at a neighbour’s garage sale.

No comments: